Saturday 16 December 2017

SLJ WK 1 activity's 1,2 and bonus

Week One: In the Beginning (1800-1870)
Cool Kiwi Fact #1: Did you know that the Māori name for New Zealand is Aotearoa? Loosely translated this means ‘land of the long white cloud.’
Day 1: Arriving in New Zealand…
Activity 1: The First Settlers
It is widely believed that the first people to arrive in New Zealand came from Polynesia. Most historians believe that they landed in New Zealand over 700 years ago. Although they were originally from many different countries, these settlers learned to live together and, eventually, formed their own distinct culture known as ‘Māori.’  Māori have their own language, traditions, and culture.
Follow this link to read a short story about a famous man in Māori mythology – Maui. On your blog, post three facts that you learned about this interesting man. What other stories have you heard about Maui?


-------------------
3 facts about maui: 1 Maui is a culture hero, Not just from new zealand and the maori culture but a lot like hawaii and more. 2 I think he was originally from New Zealand and then the myth spread. 3maui always believed in his own chocies and never gave up that is why he is a hero and made New Zealand( aotearoa) with his fish.
------------------
Activity 2: Setting Sail

The first settlers to come to New Zealand must have been really brave! They had to leave their original homes and sail thousands of miles across the ocean on a special boat called a ‘waka’ to reach New Zealand.

Imagine that you were on board one of the wakas. On your blog, write a short letter to a friend telling them about your voyage to New Zealand. In the letter be sure to tell them how you feel about moving to a new country. If it was me, I would have felt really nervous…
---------------
--------------
Bonus Activity: Waka Ama
To this day, the people of New Zealand still use waka. Instead of using their waka to transport them from one place to another, they sometimes use waka in special events and in sporting competitions such as Waka Ama. Both boys and girls compete in Waka Ama boat races.

waka-ama-40461.jpg
Watch this short video of a Waka Ama race. On your blog tell us whether you would like to be in a Waka Ama race one day. Why or why not?

BONUS POINTS: 10





---------------------
I would want to be in waka ama because I want to know how it feels when the settlers came to New Zealand. I also want to do waka ama because I want to see how far we could make it and fast fast we are. I was actually invited to do waka ama but my other sports were clashing.
---------------------
Task description: This task is for the summer learning journey and I just finished week one so I can just enjoy the rest of my week. the 1st activity is about the first settlers that came to New Zealand and I had to give 3 facts about Maui. the 2nd activity is about writing a letter to a friend and I wrote it to my whole family I had to write about how I would feel if I was on a voyage to New Zealand or going to a new country. the 3rd activity is about waka ama and I had to write a short paragraph of if i wanted to be in waka ama or not and I said yes.

5 comments:

  1. Hi there Naomi,

    thank you for your interesting facts and opinions about Maui. I think you may be right because there are so many different stories about Maui, can you think of any others besides this one?

    He was certainly brave continuing to pull up the giant fish even though he was struggling with it and his brothers were telling him to cut the line. He must of had a lot of courage to not give up! Have you ever been fishing? If so, what's the biggest fish you've caught? Bigger than the North Island?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Naomi, I have requested access to view your letter that you have written.

    Thank you for completing all three activities, you are so wonderfully motivated. I can't wait to read your letter.

    I love your positive attitude towards giving Waka Ama a go. It seems like such a difficult sport, tough on the arms and legs. You would have to be very strong and also good at working in a team, rowing at the same time. What are the other sports you play? I haven't given Waka Ama a go, but I do play a lot of other sports, like basketball, netball and soccer.

    Thanks, look forward to hearing from you.
    Billy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again Naomi, thanks for being so quick to grant me access to view your letter. It is wonderful. You are so clever to have identified those three emotions - nervous, excited and scared. I think that is spot on! You would be nervous and scared because of the dangers of being out at sea, and who knows whether New Zealand will be better than where you have come from! And then you would also be excited - excited about what new adventures lie ahead, the possibilities would be very intriguing.

    What do you think would have happened as soon as they arrived in New Zealand?

    Thanks, look forward to hearing from you.

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia Ora Naomi,

    It is great to see that you have been blogging in the holidays. I really enjoyed reading this awesome post Naomi. There were so many descriptive / positive & delightful words written by you. I really liked reading the Waka Ama Bonus Activity as you said how much you would want to participate in this incredible sport. I really loved this post Naomi. Keep up the awesome work & I will be in touch of checking out your significant work.

    Yours sincerely,

    Hinerangi:)

    ReplyDelete