Wednesday 19 December 2018

Day 1 SLJ Activity 1

Ahhhhhh the start of school holidays, Feeling sad to leave 2018. anyways its the start of the holidays and what i am going to be doing throughout the holidays is to learn. it may seem boring to some people but I just want to improve my learning from this year make progress for next year.

DAY 1: In the Beginning...


Activity 1: The Legend of New Zealand [4 points]

According to Māori mythology, much of Aotearoa New Zealand was formed when Māui, a powerful demigod, fished it out of the sea. Legend has it that Māui created a magical fish hook from the jawbone of his grandmother and that one day he took his hook, boarded a boat, and rode out into the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Once at sea, he threw his magical hook into the water and caught a fish. This ‘fish’ was actually the North Island of New Zealand! In honour of this legend, the North Island of New Zealand is sometimes referred to as Te Ika a Māui or ‘Māui’s fish’ and the South Island of New Zealand is sometimes referred to as Te Waka a Māui or ‘Māui’s canoe’.

To learn more cool facts about New Zealand, check out the Tourism NZ website. Read the fun facts posted on the website and choose your ‘Top 3.’ On your blog, post your ‘Top 3 Fun Facts’ about NZ in your own words.
Out of all the amazing and fun related facts there were these are my top three:
1.  It was the first major nation to have universal suffrage. In 1893 all male and female citizens are legally allowed to vote. so this means that we were the first to let men and woman vote. I was really amazed at this fact because New Zealanders was the first to basically clarify equality to everyone.
2.The Auckland City Sky Tower is the tallest freestanding structure in the Southern Hemisphere at 328 meters high. so basically its saying that our Auckland sky tower is the tallest freestanding structure in the southern hemisphere!
3. This was the first country to have its three top positions of power held simultaneously by women; Prime Minister Helen Clark, Governor General Dame Silvia Cartwright and the Chief Justice Sian Elias. this means that us New Zealanders were the first to have not 1 but 3 top positions of power being run by women, Prime minster Helen Clark, Governor General Dame Silvia Cartwright and the chief Justice Sian Elias. 
Task description:
this task is apart of the SLJ (summer learning journey) and this week is about A PLACE TO STAND. My activity that I had to do today, was to go on a website look at all of the facts and comeback and pick three to summarize and post on my blog.

3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Naomi and welcome back to another great summer of blogging with the Summer Learning Journey (SLJ) programme. We are thrilled to have you back with us once again!!

    I hope that you are enjoying the activities as much as we are enjoying your posts. I loved this particular post as I, too, found it amazing that New Zealand was the first country to legally allow women to vote. That is so cool! I feel very lucky (as a woman) to live in a place that supports equal rights in this way. I also love it that we have a female prime minister who recently became a mom. I really admire her for balancing the demands of a busy job with motherhood.

    Speaking of mothers, I am going to call my mom today to wish her a Merry Christmas. She lives in Canada with my dad so I don't have the chance to see them this year at Christmas. Will you be getting together with your family for the holidays? If so, I hope that you have a really lovely time together!

    Hope to see you online again when you have a spare moment!

    Bye for now,

    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Naomi,

    Your blogging this summer is incredible, I've loved everything about it. I was searching through your blog and saw some amazing work you have came up with.
    You have come up with some incredible facts that myself and probably some others didn't know about. After reading through this I could tell how much effort you have put into this. Thanks for your posts you have presented everyone of us.

    Enjoy the rest of your holidays, hope to see more from you soon!

    Kind Regards,
    Hinerangi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Naomi,
    What a great start to the SLJ program. As I went through all your hard work you have been amazing through out the whole activity. That's amazing work Naomi!
    Keep going you can do it!
    Hope to see more soon

    Goodbye for now
    Sonnia

    ReplyDelete