Monday 10 July 2017

WLJ day 3 activity 1


Kiwis for kiwi - Brown kiwi
Activity 1: Curious Kiwi, a native New Zealand bird, is your tour guide for today. He is going to take you to visit the Otorohanga Kiwi House and Native Bird Park where many of his aunties and uncles currently live. The bird park is a five hour drive from Dargaville so you hit the road right after breakfast and arrive in Otorohanga at lunch time. As you walk through the birdhouse you learn about the work being done to conserve and protect the native birds of New Zealand. You decide to help out by ‘adopting’ a native animal. Visit the Adopt a Critter page’ on the Otorohanga bird house website to choose one animal to adopt. On your blog, tell us the name of the animal that you chose and a little bit about them. What kind of animal are they? What do they eat? Where do they normally live? You can use Google to help you with your research:
They Native animal I picked was a brown kiwi and here are some facts about them:
-------------------------------------------------------
What do brown kiwis like to eat?
Brown kiwis are omnivores so they eat plants and meat.
what are kiwis predators?
kiwis are possible to be attacked or harmed to predators such as stoats, ferrets, weasels,rats, possums, cats and dogs.
where do brown kiwis normally live?
Brown kiwis like to prefer lowland and coastal forests.
----------------------------------------------------
Task description: there are some facts above about the brown kiwi. I have chosen a brown kiwi because it is mostly known in New Zealand. If i could I would adopt them My self but I think that it needs more care because it is vulnerable and I have school to go to.
Image attribution: https://www.kiwisforkiwi.org/about-kiwi/kiwi-species/brown-kiwi/

3 comments:

  1. Hay Naomi,

    What an great blog-post about kiwi's! I also chose the Brown Kiwi! Did you know that they were actually endemic to New Zealand. At first I thought they were 100% Native but they turned out to be endemic. I did not know that they were omnivores that's pretty cool.
    Great Blog-post I hope to see more coming!

    Your Mate,
    Amelia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Naomi (and Amelia),

    I really enjoyed your post! I also learned new things about kiwi birds from reading through it. In fact, I did not know that ferrets, stoats and weasels are known predators of the kiwi. The poor bird! They have so many different animals who hunt them that it's no wonder they are struggling to survive. At last count, there were approximately 65 000 kiwi birds left in New Zealand. I really hope that we're able to find a way to protect and preserve our special kiwi so that they don't ever become extinct.

    I can't imagine New Zealand without kiwi birds. They are so iconic (famous) and such an integral part of our national identity, aren't they?

    Cheers,
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete